Something Beautiful or Humorous: Apples that Eli painted

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

The Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe?

When I was single, I had a roommate who was a culinary genius. For a couple of lucky months, she did a chocolate chip cookie experiment, trying to find the best recipe ever. Was Mrs. Fields the best? Was Mom's the best? How about Nestle? Do we like the add-ins, like coconut, etc.? All of us roomates so completely overindulged in trying out all the recipes. As far as I know, she never came to any conclusion after all that field work.


Recently, my sister did the same thing! After a while, she actually made up her own recipe. I'm sure she wouldn't mind if I shared it with you. She's pretty proud of it. This cookie is a combination of a few different yummy flavors like vanilla, toffee, almond and chocolate. It actually does require a teensy bit extra time in the kitchen than most recipes, but it's worth it.

I recently pre-measured the ingredients and had an Activity Day Girls activity where they made this recipe by themselves. We then baked the cookies & they wrote appreciation notes to our bishopric, then I delivered plates of cookies to their families. Enjoy the recipe below. Note: it makes a lot. You could either half the recipe or prepare the cookies to go in the freezer this way:
  • On a parchment or foil lined baking sheet, place heaping-full tablespoons of dough.
  • Put as many as you can get on the sheet.
  • Put baking sheet in the freezer for a couple of hours or overnight.
  • Remove from the sheet to an airtight container or freezer bags.
In the comments, feel free to share your favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe.

Hillary's Chocolate Chip Cookie Creation

4 sticks of soft butter
2 cups white sugar
2 cups brown sugar
1 T dark Karo syrup
4 eggs
2 cups oatmeal that has been ground in the food processor
1 pkg dry vanilla pudding mix
2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp almond extract
1 giant Symphony Toffee Almond Chocolate Bar ground in the food processor
5-6 cups flour
1 bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 bag of your choice chocolate chips (milk chocolate or chocolate caramel swirl for example)

Mix first 6 ingredients well, then add everything but the flour. Mix. Add a cup of flour at a time. Add chocolate chips. Mix until the dough comes off the side of the bowl, and the bowl is clean. If you add too little flour, the cookie will be flat once cooked and the dough is too sticky. If you add too much flour, then the cookie is too hard.

Bake for 13 minutes at 375 degrees F.

4 comments:

The monkey bunch said...

Ok, that sounds amazingly good! Have to try that one out!!

Angie said...

I LOVE COOKIES! I've tried a ton of recipes as well, but I always go back to this one: 1 c butter, 1/2 c sugar, 3/4 c brown sugar, 2 tsp vanilla, 1 egg, 2 1/4 c flour, 1 tsp bkg soda, 1/2 tsp salt, 1 bag milk chocolate chips. Bake @ 375 for 8 min. I think the reason it's my favorite is because it's so simple and there's only 1 egg and lots of vanilla. I like them very light brown and warm...almost gooey inside. Mmmm. Now my tummy's growling.

Melanie Giant said...

I love to bake these chocolate cookies.I love it more when it is crispy in the outside but chewy int he inside This will be our midnight snack when ever we watch movies. Thanks a lot.

Melanie Schoenhut said...

Seeing these cookies will surely can't resist by people especially kids. LOL. This is so mouth watering. I should better make some of this to stop my watering mouth. LOL.