Something Beautiful or Humorous: Apples that Eli painted

Friday, November 12, 2010

Endocrine Disorders Series Part 4: The Vitamin Store

Endocrine disorders require a doctor's help and lifestyle changes, but in this post I want to talk about the fact that I have found a lot of relief from vitamins, herbs and supplements. As you look at the list, I want to let you know I don't take every single thing on the list every single day. Some of them are sort of "as needed." Before I give you the list of what's helped me, I want to give you Natalie's Rules For Taking Supplements:


1) Only add one new thing at a time. You and your doctor can't figure out what is helping and what is hurting if you add too many new things at once. Watch your body's symptoms and assess how you feel after taking a supplement for a few days. There are a few vitamins you won't feel much of a difference from, such as multi-vitamins. In those cases, keep taking the vitamins, even if you don't feel it's helping. Other supplements started helping me right away (like I seriously felt better 5 minutes later!)- like inositol and 5HTP. You can also get your integrative physician to run lab tests to see if you are deficient in certain vitamins or minerals. If you find out you are deficient, obviously keep taking the vitamin until you are told not to.

2) When you run out of a supplement, go a few days and see if the imbalance has been corrected. See if you feel fine without it. If you don't, you can get a new bottle and continue taking it. And if you feel better, by all means be free of the supplement!

3) Do not buy "any old" vitamins at Wal-Mart or the grocery store. Find a source that you trust. I like buying vitamins from Swanson Vitamins, but by all means, do your own research and do what's best in your mind.

4) Most vitamins should be taken with food, but read the label. A number of vitamins are fat-soluble, which means they only become useful to your body by dissolving in fat, so trying to eliminate all fat from your diet is actually unhealthy!

5) Ask your doctor before taking any vitamins or supplements listed here or anywhere else. This is not meant to be medical advice for you or anyone else. This is just a list of what has helped me. You never know if a vitamin that seems harmless but may clash with some medical situation that you have.

I have taken my research from many, many sources on the internet, and from a ton of books that I will link to in another post. I have put an *astrisk* next to the most helpful ones for me in my experience.

Depression Supplements
*SAMe
Tyrosine, *5HTP, and/or DL-Phenylalanine (DLPA) (read The Mood Cure first to see which one of these is right for your type of depression)
Free Form Amino Acid Supplement
Glutamine (The Mood Cure says this helps you not crave sugar. It is also good for muscle recovery and digestion.)

Hormone Balancing
Phosphytidal Choline
*Inositol (high dose- I take 12 grams/day)
*DIM
*Evening Primrose Oil
*Dong Quai
D-Calcium Glucarate
*Magnesium Taurate (high dose if you have high cholesterol and/or high blood pressure)
Vitamin E

Anxiety
L-Theanine
Passion Flower
*GABA
Glycine (helps muscle repair, too.)

To Get Over A Cold
*Goldenseal Root (do not take longer than a week or 2)
Curcumin

Adrenal
Pantothenic Acid
Trace Minerals
Vitamin B6
Vitamin C (high dose- like 3000-4000 if you can tolerate it)
Milk Thistle
B Complex
L-Proline
Alpa Lipoic Acid

Hair Loss
Biotin

PCOS
N-Acetyl Cysteine
Inositol
Cinnamon
Chromium

Everyone Should Take
Probiotic
Fish Oil
CoQ10 (helps your body absorb the fish oil)
Vitamin D 2000-5000 iu

Strong Immune System
American Ginseng
N-Acetyl Cysteine

Heartburn
*Betaine HCl
DGL Licorice

Arthritis
*MSM
Glucosamine Condroitin

Energy
*Grape Seed Extract
Taurine (it's an antioxidant, also)
*Green Tea Extract (it's an antioxidant, also.)

Insomnia
5HTP (for me it works best without vitamin B6 that is sometimes included)
*Melatonin
Hops
*Valerian Root
Any of the supplements on the Anxiety List

My Kids Take

1 comment:

Linsey said...

Wow. I can't believe all that you have been dealing with. I am amazed that you are still in one piece. God bless you for persevering through all of this.