Something Beautiful or Humorous: Apples that Eli painted

Thursday, December 3, 2009

Too Busy Cooking to Take Photos But...

I stole these photos from my cousin, Staci & her husband, Ryan, who came to visit us for Thanksgiving. Everything was pretty good, but I learned some things (the hard way) about keeping stuff from getting too dry in the oven. It was fun to be a host this year!

I need to share my favorite surprise, though. I don't usually do cranberry sauce or anything like that. But this year we had homemade Cranberry Sorbet with our ice cream maker. It totally hit the spot. Especially when it's a little more enjoyable to have something light and tart when you're so full instead of more stuff that is super rich & heavy (but I don't think I'll stop making pies, though. It seems a bit un-American!)

Cranberry Sorbet (adapted from Essential Mormon Celebrations Cookbook)

2 cups (1/2 pound) fresh cranberries
1 1/2 cups water
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons cran-raspberry jello powder
1/4 cup cold water
Juice of 1 lemon

In a saucepan, cook cranberries in 1 1/2 cups water over medium heat until skins pop. Press through sieve or strainer (You are trying to achieve a very light puree. Don't skip this step & try doing it in the blender because your sorbet will be grainy if you do.) Add sugar and stir until dissolved. Soften gelatin in cold water, about 5 minutes. Add to warm cranberry puree and stir. Cool. Stir in lemon juice. Place mixture into an ice cream maker and allow it to do its magic until the mixture starts turning light pink and is the consistency of soft serve ice cream. Transfer to another container and freeze.


Hope your Thanksgiving was great! Did you have any funny mishaps in the kitchen? :)

5 comments:

Linsey said...

Ooooh, cranberry sorbet, sounds yum!

Ryan and Staci said...

Everything was delicious! Thanks again for having us over the weekend. We had a wonderful time! :) I think every picture you posted is one that Mia took - minus the one that she is in. She wanted to help me take pictures of everything.

Kent said...

Chris and Natalie - Thanks for hosting Staci and Ryan and taking such good care of them! They loved visiting and spending Thanksgiving with you and your kids.

I loved your family pictures too. They are great!!

You guys are the BEST!!

Love,
Kent & Vickie

五王 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jeremy & Karen said...

Hi! I know you don't know me, but I happened onto your blog through a friend's, and I just wanted to thank you for your honesty! You are facing life's challenges head-on with faith and hope, and living each day to its fullest. I think you are amazing...

And you are a kindred spirit! I am also a huge Obama fan here in the DC area (hard to come by among LDS, so we have to stick together :o), I LOVE FlyLady and have followed her for years, AND my birthday is also December 28th!!! How weird is that? Usually I don't post on strangers' blogs, but I just felt like today I needed to tell you thanks for lifting my spirits!