Something Beautiful or Humorous: Apples that Eli painted

Thursday, August 20, 2009

Create



President Dieter F. Uchtdorf speaking to the women of the church: "The desire to create is one of the deepest yearnings of the human soul. You don't need money, position, or influence in order to create something of substance or beauty."

I came across this little Mormon Messages video at a very timely moment. I had heard a little while ago that if you pay attention to your dreams, they are actually telling you about a part of yourself that you may be suppressing, and it is fighting to get free. So when I did this for the past three days, the first night I dreamed of one of my mom's aunts, Vesta Crawford, who was close to me like a grandma. She was a published writer, poet and researcher. For me, I think this symbolizes how much I enjoy writing. The second night I dreamed about brightly colored chalk and crayons. Hmmm- I wonder what that could symbolize? Last night I dreamed about family photos. I really think it means scrapbooking. If this kept going, I wonder if night after night I would just keep dreaming about sewing, home decorating, dancing... and on and on! :) Then today I saw this video and it was just all too fitting. This believer in serendipity thinks it's a direct message from God to me.

Creativity has always been a part of my life, but lately trying to take care of myself & my family has taken all my time & energy. I didn't realize until now that taking a little time for creativity could be a part of taking care of myself. And President Uchtdorf's words are so encouraging. Well, this is my attempt to go ahead and go down this path- I blogged! I know it's been a while, but hey- I obeyed the dreams & I started writing. We'll have to see what else I can do to make the creative muses feel more comfortable around here.

5 comments:

The monkey bunch said...

I hope things are going better. I have decided to try and do something physical, something educational, something spiritual and something creative every day. it doesn't have to be something big and grand. I don't always get them all in, but I try. I think it makes a difference. And for you creativity is a big one- so I hope you are back at it!

Anonymous said...

Thank you Natalie for the new post : )
I came across with this wonderful women's blog one day: www.watrd.wordpress.com (we are the real deal), read through the whole thing and thought of you; how you would be a WONDERFUL contributor there (they were looking for contributors- probably still are!)

-hanna

Patti said...

I love it when you write. It is so real. It makes me laugh! You are definitely talented when it comes to creativity!

Love you,
Patti

MwH said...

When are you going to post again? Missing your great blog posts!!

Payne Family said...

Hey, Natalie. I thought of you today and I'm so glad I checked in on your blog. I loved your post and can't believe how much it applies to what's on my mind today. I just came home from a scrapbooking class and felt so discouraged! I love it but wish I was more creative, and on and on. I almost felt like I shouldn't go anymore but I really love it! Anyways, thanks for sharing that video, I feel more inspired and encouraged to "CREATE".