Something Beautiful or Humorous: Apples that Eli painted

Saturday, December 13, 2008

Headin' for Pennsylvania and Some Homemade Pumpkin Pie

I don't know why, but Pennsylvania was calling my name over the Thanksgiving holiday. Literally, the DAY before Thanksgiving, we arranged the whole thing. Since we have ripped up carpet and a cement slab as the warming, hospitable place where we would normally be eating Thanksgiving dinner, we just decided to skip town.

In case some of you were still left hanging, I might not have clarified that we DID get the Honda Odyssey. So we christened it by taking it on a little road trip, and ate at Plain & Fancy, an Amish Farm, in Bird-In-Hand, PA. It was a delicious traditional home-style Thanksgiving dinner.

Then we stayed at a Bed & Breakfast in Mt. Joy, PA. It was a beautiful little place that served an amazing breakfast & was decorated with the most beautiful antiques. It was located on a working farm. So Eli got to gather eggs with the teenage boys who lived there, and play around on the farm- hayride, rope swing in the barn, petting the animals, etc. Click on the collage to see the photos up close. It was a fun experience tainted only by the fact that I could see my breath laying in bed in the middle of the night, our room was so cold!! And oh, also, Mia got up in the morning and puked right at the foot of the beautiful antique bed. I guess the Amish dinner didn't agree with her. Poor little thing.


Luckily, though, she felt ok the rest of the day. We took them to Hershey, to Chocolate World. We had the little tour of the chocolate factory, and did our share of tasting. I'm a Mr. Goodbar fan, how about you? The new flavored kisses aren't bad, either. Chris likes the new line of chocolate called Bliss. Mmmmmmmmm.

The theme park was also open, decorated for Christmas & only cost 10 bucks! All the rides were open except the scariest thrill rides and the water ride. So for our kids, it was perfect! It was actually the first time they've ever been to a theme park. The closest they've gotten in their short little lives was the boardwalk at Ocean City! So they loved it. We earned a few parenting brownie points, finally. :)


But it was also so nice to get to away. Total treat for Chris & me. Other than 2 trips to the beach, I'm ashamed to admit that we haven't been on a road trip like that since before we had kids. That's definitely going to change now that we've tasted a little success. (No pun intended! Ha!) Yep, even with the frigid lodgings & puking child. I think it was a great trip.

5 comments:

Ryann said...

So great that you got away. For some reason, I wasn't alerted to your last few posts so I thought that i would just do a comment anyhow. I so get you on trying to write a glowing 'Molly' blog. If you look way back in my archives to when I first started blogging that is all I wrote about. HOw great my life was. And then over time, that wore off and it became much more real. I figured it is my journal and the bad should be included as well. In like vein, I often can't think of what to write but since I publish my book for posterity's sake, I still write. Shoot a couple posts back, what was I even talking about? It was all rambling. And I even got comments. So I say write what you want! And don't feel guilty! This is your space and you get to choose what is displayed here. Don't be so hard on yourself-you are an amazing woman!

Teresa said...

How fun. I love the pictures. It looks like you guys had a great time. Justin's dad served his mission in PA, they recently went to attend a family wedding and they said at the walmart there, they had a covered barn area for the Amish to park their horse and buggy.
I would have had a hard time leaving the Hershey place. Justin's dad bought a huge hershey kiss there and shared with all of us. What fun....we need a road trip...but where to?

The monkey bunch said...

That is so wonderful. I am glad you had a good Thanksgiving away from stress! I have always enjoy PA when we have gone!

Patti said...

I'm jealous. That sounds like a perfect Thanksgiving get-away. How inspiring!

Michele said...

Boo Hoo. I'm glad you had fun in my hometown stomping grounds. I wish I was there. My brother moved back to Lancaster (completely unsolicited--just so happended that the company wanted him there) so I'm sure we'll go home sometime this year for a visit. Dutch Wonderland is also a great park for kids and would be perfect for your kids ages. It's right in the heart of Amish Country and just down the road from the outlet center! There is also a Sesame Street park outside of Philadelphia that is supposed to be pretty good. And while I'm thinking of it--the Strasburg Railroad is awesome too. Lots to do in the country!