Something Beautiful or Humorous: Apples that Eli painted

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

First Installment of Real Life Posts: wherein we discover that the most cultural dish we can make comes out of a box with the letters K-R-A-F-T on it

Here are some Thanksgiving updates. And I realize that these posts may be, in the words of one of my new obsessions, BooMama*, " a little too late to be considered relevant. But that’s never stopped me before, now has it?"


Here are my 2 stories:

1. Eli's Kindergarten Class Thanksgiving Feast.

We were all supposed to bring a dish from our heritage, or from a country we've visited. But his teacher begged me to bring mac 'n' cheese because she was afraid the kids would starve if they were only given a choice of a bunch of strange foreign food. I don't know, I wouldn't want to be stuck with a bunch of hungry (= grouchy) 5 & 6 year olds if I were her, either!

I'm half Swedish, and I wanted to bring some Swedish food. As I was brainstorming, I was trying to think kid friendly. Maybe RisgrynsgrÖt, (rice pudding), or bullar (sweet bread/cinnamon buns). We thought the sweet bread would be a little easier, so we set off making the dough. Then we promptly forgot a key spice ingredient, decided to forge ahead, and finally came out with these:


Hard as rocks, burned, burned, burned!!! I didn't even think the birds would want them. They just went in the trash, and a huge vat of mac 'n' cheese was our "Heritage" dish. Great!  I know my Swedish grandmother is in heaven looking down and just shaking her head saying, "I know you can do better than that!"

Stay tuned for Story #2 tomorrow. Because I'm realizing y'all don't want to wait forever to read a post from me until I'm done writing about our road trip to PA. :) I'll tell you about it tomorrow. :)

*Something about The South that I think is SO COOL right now. Oh, just the idea of the hospitality, friendliness, picturesque-ness, Paula Deen... anyone who talks or cooks like her. I've never even BEEN to the south unless you count Duck Beach! But you will want to visit there if you listen to this podcast!

3 comments:

Linsey said...

This is hysterical. I love that your heritage food is mac 'n' cheese. Unfortunately that teacher is probably right though, a lot of kids aren't adventurous eaters.

The monkey bunch said...

Kraft is definitely heritage like! It's probably the only thing Joe would have eaten!!

April Cobb said...

Don't feel badly, Nat. I think that a true heritage dish for my family would be a boxed cake and snickers bar. You did fine.