Something Beautiful or Humorous: Apples that Eli painted

Friday, September 26, 2008

Before and After

BooMamaBeforeAfter


Ok people. No one can say I don't sacrifice for you. I just finished my project 15 minutes ago! And here it is!

Before

After

So here's how this came about. We have such a small townhome and one of the things it doesn't have is a mudroom. We don't even have a coat closet in our entry way. So I came up with the ingenious idea of buying this bench from Ikea so we would have a launch pad for going in and coming out, and I have my kids stick their shoes in the compartment below the little bench. Also, our budget has not been able to afford the beautiful big screen plasma TV and entertainment center. Our 27" dinosaur TV sits on cheap Ikea shelving that normally belongs in a garage. So a few years ago, I decided to do some wood burning and mimic some flowers that we have on the living room curtains nearby. I was rather proud of this dramatic improvement of the cheap Ikea pine, and the Ikea bench has also been needing its facelift for a while. I'm so happy that I finally got this checked off my list!

Here's the curtain that was the inspiration:

Here is the shelf I wood-burned a few years ago.

Here's the tool I used.


I will say that one bump in the road I had was that I had planned to trace and transfer the images from my first shelf to the "shoe bench." But that didn't work out at all, so I had to do the unthinkable (FREEHAND!!-- My mother in law drew the template for me on my TV shelf. See more of her amazing art here.) And you know, it really didn't turn out that bad! Here's some detail.

14 comments:

Sarah said...

Wow, I think those look awesome. I was inspired by your initial post on this contest, and planned to gut and organize my master closet. Alas, I am still in the planning phase. Oh well.

Ryann said...

You did a fantastic job! Well done!

CPT Mom said...

Wow. This looks great.

OhLookADuck said...

What a great, creative project! I love it!

Kristi said...

"not that bad???" It's incredible. Great job!

Annie said...

i was just at ikea this week trying to find something like that and couldn't. of course your freehand turned out beautiful, you are an amazing artist!

Teresa said...

How awesome is that! What a great job and freehanded too, girlfriend you are talented, but you already knew that. Love it!

Kelley with Amy's Angels said...

WOW!!!

I love IKEA, and you're right, even though it's affordable, it often needs a facelift.

And your freehand drawing was great!!

The monkey bunch said...

You have been tagged again. This time it is to write 6 quirky things about yourself.

groovyoldlady said...

What a wonderful idea...inexpensive and beautiful!

Ben & Britt said...

Hi Natalie! I was blog stalking after finding your blog via the Duke's blog. Anyway, I love what you did with your ikea bench and entertainment center, both pieces look amazing!

Brittany May

Christin said...

Thats amazing! I don't catsh how to use that thing, even tho I've tried a few times. Good Luck to your next project:9

JJ said...

Love it! It has a very european, eastern european folk art flair!

April Cobb said...

Indeed you are a genius my friend. It looks AMAZING. What a way to spruce something up!