Something Beautiful or Humorous: Apples that Eli painted

Thursday, August 14, 2008

Just A Blast


Cardon Family Reunion Top 10

  1. Mia getting a cousin crush on Nick (14 years old)! ("Is Nick downstairs? I'm going downstairs." "Nick's eating dinner right now? Ok. I'll eat dinner, then." "I'm going to show Nick my new headband.") (By the way, all the older cousins have superhero/fairytale status with our kids now. They are pretending they are the big kids now that we are home. "You be Chase. I'm Melia.")
  2. Sweet Nick thought he would make Mia's day by offering to be her partner in the compass treasure hunt game. He comes over and says, "Mia, do you want to be my partner?" Mia screams and hides her face in her hands and runs behind me. I guess it could be traumatic when someone so cool talks to you in person!
  3. Eli made a friend, too. Zach (7) and Eli (6) played and played and played. Our family can't wait until Zach & his family come to visit DC next April!
  4. The Laugh Fest that went until 1:30 a.m. one night. I loved eavesdropping on family anecdotes & I love the types of relationships where you can get together and just crack up. Other than the laugh fest, I laughed quite a bit the whole 3 days just at people wise cracking & generally being light hearted & good natured. A sense of humor is so important.
  5. I loved the skits! We had 29 people at the family reunion (including babies.) They had divided us up into 3 groups and given us a bag of props. More laughing & losing those inhibitions. The kids had a blast, too.
  6. Another opportunity for dramatic voices came in the form of story time for the Grandkids. Grandma read "The Grey Lady and the Strawberry Snatcher" and Grandpa read "Wiley and the Hairy Man." If we got that on video, I'm sure my kids are going to be watching their copy all the time!
  7. Seeing a Moose! We were SO HIGH up there in the mountains. We were already about 6000 feet elevation, then the paved roads ended! We went up another 1000 feet on just dirt roads. I thought Moose were only in Alaska. But apparently they live in Utah, too, if you go far enough away from civilization like we did.
  8. ATV's & Guitar Hero. Thank you so much, Jeremy! What a cool brother-in-law to have. :)
  9. Grandma & Grandpa's store. To have a child or teenager come up to you when it's your turn for clean-up duty and say, "What can I do to help?" is one of the best things I can think of. Kids were given little fake coins and dollar bills for good behavior or doing things to help out, and at the end, they used it to buy little toys and things from the "store."
  10. Listening to Neil & Sandra's testimonies the last day and feeling so much love for them & appreciating all their sacrifices for us. Appreciating so much the love they have for us & how important these reunions are for us to build close relationships and be a blessing to one another.
What have I left out? There were so many fun activities. Just a genius planner (Jen!), and tons of other fun stuff like crafts for the kids, kid olympics, yummy meals, a pinata, board games, family pictures & official T-shirts (numbers corresponding to when we joined the family), then ending with lunch at the Dairy Keen.

We stupidly never got out our camera and I will have to post more pictures later when I can steal them from my in-laws. I stole the top 2 pictures from my sister-in-law's (private) blog (she's such an amazing photographer- I wish you could see her blog), but I'm not sure if it's going to work. If it doesn't, I'll get some on here later.

No comments: