Something Beautiful or Humorous: Apples that Eli painted

Sunday, August 17, 2008

Activity Day Girls: Tithing & Budgeting


We made prayer sticks out of popsicle sticks, glue, and some random things I found in my craft box (sticky gems, dried flowers, etc.) I found when I was calling on someone to say the opening and closing prayer, a lot of the girls would whine or say "no." So this way, I'll be able to keep track whose "turn" it is to say the prayer. (Keep them in a little cup, and draw one out each time I call on someone, so that I don't keep calling on the same people over and over again.)

I used Primary Partners Faith In God We Love Activity Days as the main source for this idea. They glued labels (printed out from Primary Partners) on 5 different envelopes. The labels were "Tithing," "Education," "Long Term Savings," "Short Term Savings," and "Spending." There was a space for them to write which percentage of their money they would put in each.

While they were doing the previous 2 activities, I read a bunch of stories from the Friend magazine and after each story, they told me what envelope the story reminded them of. Here are the stories (I was looking for budgeting stories, but if you're looking for tithing stories, there are tons. Search at www.lds.org):

Following The Prophet
Friend to Friend (Spending Money story at the end)
Thankful For The Prophet
Five Little Fish

At the end, we had a scripture chase with these scriptures and a little discussion after each about what it meant:

Doctrine and Covenants 119:3-6
Doctrine and Covenants 64:23
Doctrine and Covenants 97:10-12
3 Nephi 13:2
Malachi 3:8-12
Matthew 6:32-33
Proverbs 3:9-10
Mosiah 18:27-28

This is a great age for them to begin scripture chasing. They all needed help, but it felt like a big accomplishment every time they found one. The treat was an idea from Primary Partners, too. I toasted and buttered bread, then put cinnamon sugar on some, and green colored sugar on others. The green, I cut into rectangles, like dollar bills, and the cinnamon, I took the smallest biscuit cutter and cut into "coins." After all that, I left it at home!!!!!!!!! But here's the photo I took, anyway. The thought was supposed to be that if we don't pay our tithing, we will be "toast" at the second coming.


Also, here is a link for the Primary Partners Faith In God book that I was using:

1 comment:

Ryan and Staci said...

Those are great ideas you had for your girls! We are liking it here so far and at some point in our 3 year adventure here we are planning on coming up to visit. :)