Something Beautiful or Humorous: Apples that Eli painted

Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Podcast Roundup 1 (LDS Version)

I am starting a new series of posts that I'm titling "Podcast Roundup." What follows is a compendium of podcasts I've listened to lately that I highly recommend. I listen to them all so you don't have to! I'll just pass along the best ones.

I listen to 100s of hours of podcasts per week. The good that comes of this is 1) that I don't go insane while driving my kids all over creation, and 2) I can share the best of the best with you. (Ok, I don't want to build this up, too much. These are just some that were good in the bunch that I happened to listen to lately. But I think you'll enjoy them.) This time, they all come from LDS Voices (I've been listening to the archives.) And I realize that it's a bit like going to a Relief Society meeting and being handed some xerox copies of conference talks that you will take home and never read. But the difference is, you can download these babies and listen to them on your portable media device while multi-tasking!! Awesome!

Here they are in no particular order.

Fear Not Little Flock (Howard W. Hunter)

"Brothers and sisters, you have and will have worries and challenges of many kinds, but embrace life joyfully and full of faith. Study the scriptures regularly. Pray fervently. Obey the voice of the Spirit and the prophets. Do all that you can to help others. You will find great happiness in such a course. Some glorious day all your worries will be tuned to joys.

As Joseph Smith wrote to the struggling Saints from his cell in Liberty Jail:

Let us cheerfully do all things that lie in our power; and then may we stand still, with the utmost assurance, to see the salvation of God, and for his arm to be revealed. [D&C 123:17; emphasis added]

Fear not, little flock; do good; let earth and hell combine against you, for if ye are built upon my rock, they cannot prevail . . . ."

Be Honest, Be Pure, Be Humble (Jack H. Goaslind)

"There is a deep and well-regarded relationship between each of us and our mothers. I think even among those for whom the relationship has been unfortunately strained, there are thoughts and feelings regarding our mothers that bring us to our greatest humility. Jesus' dying thoughts were of the care of his mother; the stripling warriors spoke in humility the teachings of their mothers; the young man in Elder Featherstone's story was touched and finally humbled by thoughts of a caring mother. Abraham Lincoln, one of the greatest of our presidents, once said, 'All that I am, or hope to be, I owe to my angel mother'"

The Gospel and Romantic Love (Bruce C. Hafen)

"Properly understood, then, the scriptures counsel us to be virtuous not because romantic love is bad, but precisely because romantic love is so good. It is not only good; it is pure, precious, even sacred and holy."

Life's Greatest Decisions (Thomas S. Monson)

"I would not be standing before you this evening had I not followed the counsel of a prophet, had I not prayed about a decision, had I not come to an appreciation of the important truth: 'The wisdom of God ofttimes appears as foolishness to men. But the greatest single lesson we can learn in mortality is that when God speaks and a man obeys, that man will always be right.'"

Centering in the Peace of Private Prayer (Margaret Lifferth)

There is no transcript for me to paste a quote from. But what I liked about this talk were her personal, touching stories about how faithfully she prayed during different times of her life (one cool story that I remember about her daughter being on a mission in a place where there was a natural disaster) and received help & answers.

Search Diligently in the Light of Christ (Wendy L. Watson)

"Do you see how generous the Lord is? He gives us the Light of Christ that guides us to even more light. Do you think he loves light? And do you think he loves you? And do you think he desires for you to love light and to be lifted, enlightened, and loved and to have the kind of light, love, and life that he has?"

Forgiveness (Gordon B. Hinckley)

I love the story about the woman forgiving the teenager for causing her near-fatal accident. Even President Hinckley got choked up as he told the story.

The Power of Deliverance (Henry B. Eyring)

"As you are delivered in trials, the Holy Ghost comes to you. Many of you have felt the result of frequent contact with the Holy Ghost. It may have been in your missionary service, where you needed deliverance many times. The Holy Ghost came to comfort and to guide you. As that recurred again and again, you may have noticed a change in yourself. The temptations that once troubled you seemed to fade. People who once seemed difficult began to appear more lovable. You began to see almost unreasonable potential in very humble people. You came to care more about their happiness than about your own."

2 comments:

Kenny and Linsey said...

Thank you for distilling this for me. I am delighted to listen to just your highlights and not have to do the leg work myself. Natalie, you're always so giving!

April Cobb said...

Thanks for the tip! I never thought of doing that.