Something Beautiful or Humorous: Apples that Eli painted

Monday, May 12, 2008

Meet Bob

The Enforcer. The reason, actually, why my blog reading & writing is a bit behind at the moment. But it's totally worth it! Have you ever wondered how much time you REALLY spend in front of those TV & computer monitors? So now I know exactly how much time.

Everyone in the family has a PIN number. We actually got 2 Bob's. One for the computer & one for the TV. Eli and Mia get 1 hour of TV per day & 30 minutes of computer games (not so much Mia as Eli.). "Bob" beeps, and there is no discussion, no fighting with mom. They just turn it off & find something more productive to play with like normal kids! And if they don't turn it off on their own, Bob actually cuts the power to the monitor. Like a glorified Christmas Light Timer.

My own TV & computer time was getting a little unreasonable and too late at night, too! So now I get kicked off after a certain number of hours per week, and after 10 pm. I love it. I spend more time with Chris and I sleep better at night. I have learned that there are truly no "internet emergencies." Certain things are actually better printed out for reference & we actually have a paper phone book. Go figure. It has helped me focus my time & less distraction! I was starting to believe I had ADD because I'd sit down at the computer & one distraction after another, I couldn't remember the original reason I had sat down.

Are we the only family with this problem? I'm so glad we found something that works for us.

5 comments:

The monkey bunch said...

Very cool. It would help a lot in our home as well. I am not the best!

Dianah said...

I think this is a very neat thing. I should get one for me and my husband, but more for him and me. I'm never on the computer, right?

Angie said...

Ha ha ha. Awesome. We have this problem too. I might have to meet Bob. Jeremy too. Bob needs to watch his xbox time better:)

flem-fam said...

That's cool. However, I don't want a bob. I'd rather live in denial....

April Cobb said...

Great idea. And I am glad that you tasted them for us so that we don't have to spend $30 on salsa for family home evening to figure it out for ourselves. I can't wait to try the recipes. Yum.