Something Beautiful or Humorous: Apples that Eli painted

Thursday, April 10, 2008

She's At It Again

The inspiration to blog for me usually comes when I experience something fabulous or something annoying, either one. So forgive me that I'm not giving you too much variety in your blog reading experience, but I just have to post another recipe because it was so fabulous!

Stress relief for me comes in many forms, exercise being one of them, but when my kids are sick, exercise is a lot harder to get accomplished. I haven't been that excited to drag out a work-out dvd today, so I decided to do the next most logical thing-- which is to bake. I have always loved baking. Once I start, I really enjoy the process and can at times get really excited about the artsy/creative aspects of it. Too bad it's often accompanied by a little too much tasting. I can't let myself do it that often because it's too big of a temptation for me to just taste, taste, taste. However, we did break out the Kitchen Aid tonight & here's what I came up with:


Natalie's Interpretation of a Swedish Traditional Dessert, Chokladbollar

1 stick of butter, softened
2/3 cup sugar
1 Tbsp high quality pure vanilla extract
3 Tbsp cocoa
2 Tbsp water
2 cups rolled oats

Mix sugar and butter in a food processor or mixer. Add remaining ingredients and blend well, increasing speed to high until the oats have been ground to a finer texture and everything is mixed evenly. Pour about 1/3 c shredded coconut onto a plate. Scoop small balls with an ice cream scoop & roll in coconut. Refrigerate for at least 15 minutes before serving. Store in refrigerator.

How do you like that? No baking, no cooking on the stove. Beautiful. So tasty!!!!

The story behind these is that when I was a 16 year old exchange student in Sweden, the high school had vending machines full of not chips & candy bars, but a refrigerated vending machine with apples, milk & these Chokladbollar wrapped in plastic!! Chokladbollar and other pastries are an important part of Swedish fika (pronounced FEE-kuh,) which is like afternoon tea hour in England. Fika is nothing more than sitting down with coffee or tea and a pastry & maybe a beautiful little open-faced tea sandwich. Being that I'm Mormon & don't drink coffee or tea, it was just me & the pastries when I sat down for fika with friends. This recipe duplicated the taste almost exactly!! Even better than the ones they have at Ikea. Such a throw-back for me. It was a comfort food for me back then & I'm happy to share the love & happy vibes. Make, enjoy & maybe drink some water in a tea cup with your pinky up. :)

4 comments:

Angie said...

I am going to have to try this. Thanks for sharing the recipe and the memory. I'll be sure to raise my pinky:)

Lisa said...

Yum! I'll definitely be trying this one. Thanks Natalie!

Christin said...

Hi! This is your Swedish cusin:) I just wanted to say hi and give you my secret about chokladbollar. Insted of water, use orange juce. Makes a good taste!
Take care!

Collie and Zach said...

This is what Lotta made when they were here over Christmas. They are tasty!