Something Beautiful or Humorous: Apples that Eli painted

Thursday, April 17, 2008

I'm Not Crazy (ok I am a little)



Today I heard a great little interview (scroll all the way down until you see the Crazy Makers book) with Carol Simontacchi, the author of this book, The Crazy Makers: How the Food Industry Is Destroying Our Brains and Harming Our Children. From the brief overview I got in the interview, it sounds like one alternate title of the book could be, "Does My Kid Have ADHD Or Is It Just All This Crap I've Been Feeding Him?"

Some of the blacklisted foods include Lunchables, sugar cereals and soda. I kind of knew Lunchables were not healthy, yet I wouldn't run from them. And I think the general opinion out there is that it's "healthy" because it contains "meat" and "cheese" and aren't crackers healthy? I know several kids in Eli's class bring it for their lunches. Basically, it's just overloaded with salt, additives, preservatives, refined sugar and flour and zero nutrition. By the time they over-process the meat and put in the fake cheese, there's no real food in there at all. I get so frustrated that there is still so much ignorance out there concerning what is/is not healthy. On a side note, I think Dr. Oz is the one of the best things that has happened to this country lately. Everyone should be reading his books, as well.

And it's not just kids that get messed up from junk food. One problem Carol Simontacchi addresses is the drastic increase in depression rates in adults and teens. She says one in four adults have at least one mental health crisis per year. I love this summary of her book from Amazon.com:

We already worry that our food makes us fat, dull, disease-prone, and sleepy. Now we have to worry that it also makes us crazy. According to certified clinical nutritionist Carol Simontacchi, the food industries that give us packaged, processed, artificially flavored, chemical-ridden, artificially colored, nutrient-stripped pseudo foods such as sodas, processed soups, sugared cereals, and fiberless bread "wantonly destroy our bodies and our brains, all in the name of profit." We Americans (adults and children) eat 200 pounds of sugar and artificial sweeteners each year. Our children's test scores and grades drop. We become violent, illogical, moody, depressed, drug-addicted, and crazy. The reason, according to the author, who is pursuing a doctorate in brain nutrition, is that we're starving our brains with lack of nutrition.
I am becoming passionate about nutrition and eating whole foods and super foods.* I find myself listening to every podcast & reading every book I can about good healthy food. The interview I listened to made me put her book on my wish list. I'm really looking forward to learning what the author says we can do to increase our family's capacity to be healthy and happy. There's already enough working against us without all our food making things worse.

P.S. And make sure you stay away from those Lunchables! Here's a great 4 part article from one of my favorite nutrition websites that includes 100 healthy snacks you can feed your kids!

*Disclaimer: There's always the 90/10 rule. 90% of the time, everyone could try and eat healthily. 10% of the time, you can have dessert, sugar, whatever. All the bad stuff. And I sure would lose weight quicker than I currently am doing if my percentage were truly 90! Oh well. We have something to strive for!

4 comments:

The monkey bunch said...

I so agree with you. I think we all lie when we say that we are living the word of wisdom in our temple interviews. I wish I worked on it harder, because I know the way my body feels as soon as I eat that candy, but I admit, I am totally addicted! It's like a smoker that won't stop smoking even when they are told they have the first signs of lung cancer!
Unfortunately, I think things are going to get worse, with wheat and corn going way up in price and produce and dairy too!

jenny said...

Amen sister! This is why I try to buy organic when I can - not because of the way it's grown but because organic products have way less sugar and no additives like regular food. You always have to check your labels though. I just read lately that if you take the grams of sugar in something and divide it by 4 that is how many teaspoons of sugar the product has in it. I've been doing that lately and I am astonished at how much sugar we intake every day. For example - a regular fruit flavored yogurt has 10 teaspoons of sugar!

Amy said...

This was great and gave me some good ideas for healthy snacks. It takes extra effort to do more than pull out the goldfish crackers. Thanks!

Lotta said...

Hi!
How fun to here from you. I wish that we had met eatch other when we was in US. But I didn't know that you could swedish, how fun:)
And I like that you have vegetarian dinners:P Take care!