Something Beautiful or Humorous: Apples that Eli painted

Saturday, April 26, 2008

April Activity Day Girls

We read "My Gospel Standards" and discussed each one briefly, then painted wooden door hangers ($0.79 at Michaels) with pink, purple, yellow, & glow-in-the-dark paint. The girls will finish them next month & use a sharpie to write "My Gospel Standards on them."

I gave them a quiz at the end: the refreshments were cookies cut out using alphabet cookie cutters. They had to pick a cookie & let me know what gospel standard it reminded them of, in order to get a treat. For example, "P" for "I will follow Heavenly Father's PLAN for me."

And the funnest part: We are getting pen pals! My sister in Lindon, UT is the Activity Days leader in her ward. We will be exchanging notes & care packages. The girls are each making a door hanger for their adopted girl in Lindon. They are sooooo excited.

These are some SERIOUSLY cute kids.


I almost forgot something else great to share with you: the sugar cookie recipe I used was the best I've had in years!! It's quick (no chilling), and it contains a tiny bit of whole wheat flour. How about that for getting high ratings in more than one area!

SUGAR CUT OUT COOKIES (NO CHILLING)
from COOKS.COM

1/2 c. butter, softened
1/2 c. sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
2 tsp. baking powder
2 1/2 c. flour (I use 1/2 c. wheat, 2 c. white)

Cream butter and sugar with electric mixer. Add eggs and vanilla; add baking powder and flour, one cup at a time. Dough will be stiff. No chilling. Roll dough on lightly floured surface. Dip cutters in flour before each use. Bake at 400 degrees on ungreased cookie sheet for 6 to 7 minutes. Use top oven rack. Can be frosted.

5 comments:

The Domestic Goddess said...

We read a book by Lisa See called Snow Flower and the Secret Fan. It is a book about the Chinese women in the nineteenth century who bound their feet. It was a good book.
Cute girls,I can tell you enjoy your calling!

Michele said...

Your girls look so calm. We have about 27 when they all come and it is chaos. What a fun idea to have pen pals. Last month we had a guest come to do an etiquette seminar and they loved that too (that is when they weren't leaving to potty or chatting!) I guess you have to start somewhere!

Natalie C. said...

Some are calm. Some are hyper & giggly. But most of them are exactly like my 3 yr old & 5 year old- asking so many questions & running around all over the place. I guess that's how all kids are!

Ry and Staci said...

We will for sure have to come visit you when we move. We won't have an excuse since we will only be a few hours away. :) Your kids are so cute and I just found out about all the big news....Anna getting married and Hilly having the baby. Geesh that is great! Talk to you soon

melbo said...

Do you realize that these girls are going to grow up adoring you and will always remember how amazing you are? I just went to MD to visit one of my Beehive leaders, and still had so much love for her and our memories. What a great calling :)
Thanks for sharing the recipe!