Something Beautiful or Humorous: Apples that Eli painted

Sunday, February 3, 2008

Where Have I Been?

Ok, I feel like I owe my blog readers a little note of explanation. A couple of people have asked me where I have been & what's going on with me. Well, here's a little re-cap of my month. I've been...

In Primary- I feel like I've been missing out on some social interaction at church because I have been substitute teaching 5 spirited 5-year olds for 6 weeks. I LOVE my calling doing Activity Day girls with the 8-11 year olds 2 Wednesdays a month. I think I'll just keep it. No desire to be a primary teacher right now. And I will be thrilled to be back in Relief Society (the women's meeting) next week! I'm not going to go into detail about the funny 5 year olds. What a tough job for all those teachers trying to keep their attention during the tough afternoon hours of 2:00 pm to 4:00 pm!! The first Sunday I taught them, I just decided to let them dance to my ipod playing children's hymns for the last 5 minutes. There was nothing I could say that was going to sink in at that point, anyway...

At the Pediatrician's office- since November, I have been to the pediatrician's office SEVEN times. My kids have had multiple recurrences of a horrible ear infection & throat infection. The episode Eli is just getting over was so bad it gave him a double ear infection, throat infection & sinus infection so bad that it gave him a black eye! He just woke up one morning with purple & red under his eye, all puffed up! "What on earth happened to your eye??" He just finished the last dose of antibiotics today. Mia finished a round of antibiotics a few days ago, and immediately came down with a fever & all the old symptoms. She doesn't have a black eye. Just ear & throat infections & puking. Fun, fun. Let's hope this will be the last of these nasty infections!! Talk about missing out on things-- I have canceled more appointments, and stayed home from more things because of sick kids...! I am anxious to get back to normal life. Only a couple more months of cold/flu season... sigh! Poor kids.

Behind the artist's easel- I've been doing a couple of watercolor commissions for people. Portraits for their homes, and a larger version of my "Apples" painting for a friend's kitchen wall. It's so nice to get commissions because it's a hobby I love that I would never make time for otherwise.

Decluttering- I heard from FlyLady, that even if you want more kids, you shouldn't keep baby clothes for more than 5 years because of course things go out of style, but also fabrics disintegrate, and there is no use keeping them when they could be blessing someone else. Well, we took the ball and ran with it. We decluttered the clothes, paired down the toys, books, and DVDs, as well. If you're in the market for little kid books or DVDs, you can check out my half.com inventory. If you live near me, I'll give you any of them for free. :)

Drama- I will share with you that all this decluttering involved a small misunderstanding between my husband and I where he suggested we get rid of some baby toys I still wanted to keep (my goal is to try to have kids in another 2 years after I get some health issues under control). I thought he said, "Are we really going to have any more kids?" And there was a fight, and I cried for 2 days before I realized after talking more to him that he didn't say "any more kids," but he said "any time soon." We both want more kids, we just need to wait a bit. Those with babies reading this, you really need to let us babysit. We are both missing little babies.

It's good to be back in the blogging world. :)

5 comments:

Hardys said...

I am so sorry to hear the kids have been sick. I sure feel for you. I find that when kids are sick the mom loses sight of the fact that the world is still plugging along while the mom is standing still in a pile of "mess". That's when I loose it and go on strike. Snaps for Natalie for taking care of two young kids and still plugging along! Love ya!

The monkey bunch said...

It has been a bad year for sickness at our house, too. It seems someone is always sick with something.
It's good to read your blogs again and glad your not moving. Who would I talk to at card club- it seems like everyone else is new!

Annie said...

I HAVE been wondering where you are, other than glimpses of you in the preschool parking lot (although sounds like a lot of tuition down the drain with the sickness :( ) Glad to see you blogging again!

Ryann said...

It is good to see you back! And woohoo on all of your organizing. doesn't it feel good to get it all out of the house?

And if you ever want to babysit-Just give me a call!

Angie said...

I'm glad you blogged again! I've missed you.