Something Beautiful or Humorous: Apples that Eli painted

Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Things That Have Made My Day Recently

And I thought I'd share...

A delicious, delicious dinner that takes 30 seconds to make. I got this recipe from Leanne Ely, the Dinner Diva, as I was listening to an archived podcast of The Fly Show from last fall. Get out your crockpot & throw in a pork loin, chopped into chunks. Then 1 bottle of Trader Joe's Salsa Verde (and while you're there, buy a few bottles, because it's delicious & you can google "Trader Joe's Salsa Verde" and get a ton of other yummy recipes. And if you don't live by a Trader Joe's, any brand of salsa verde or tomatillo sauce will do.) Throw in 2 cloves of garlic, crushed, and put the lid on. Throughout the day, your house is going to smell amazing. We ate it with whole wheat tortillas, green peppers, tomatoes, cilantro and sour cream. It's absolutely delicious and so low in calories & fat. Chris and I almost never repeat a recipe, and we just did this one a second time this evening. I am in absolute heaven!!

I've had a hair appointment that I have canceled 3 times due to sick kids, and the gray hair is starting to show up a lot more than I am comfortable with. I really did need to go to the hair salon more than a month ago, when my appointment originally was! I can't believe how bad it is. I know the 21 year old me would look at me now and be quite alarmed at a lot of things. Another of them being that I go anywhere without makeup. Sigh- maybe next year it can be my New Year's resolution to at least put a little makeup on during the week so I don't scare the preschool moms & kids. And it would probably be nice for Chris to see a resemblance between the me in sweats and no makeup that he comes home to every night, and the me he married. I've let go of a certain amount of vanity over the years since then, but gray hair just isn't ok with me. It changes how my face looks completely. So I was desperate. I went to Ulta in search of something temporary to cover the gray. I would have put mascara in my hair if I had to, I was so desperate. But I found the coolest stuff by Covermarkpro. It actually looks like a little mascara bottle, but inside is temporary hair color, and at the end of the "mascara wand" is a little sponge applicator. The color is great. It matched perfectly, and it washes out with shampoo. I'm finally going to the hair dresser tomorrow (knock on wood that I won't have to reschedule again!!!!) and I wish I would have discovered this earlier, but it will come in handy next time.

Finally, I wanted to share some great children's books with you.

Show Way by Jacqueline Woodson

Both books are probably for kids at least 5 and up, unless you have an extremely precocious 4 year old. Show Way is a beautiful poetic book about African American heritage passed on from grandmother to mother to daughter. I never knew that slaves used to make quilts with encoded maps to freedom via the underground railroad. They called them "show ways." It was touching, to me, because I believe my sweet grandmothers who have passed away are watching over me, and I am really proud of the heritage I come from. (On one side, I'm a second generation Swede, and on the other side there are Mormon pioneers... but maybe that's a whole other post!)


America's White Table by Margot Theis Raven. This is for those of you reading who are married to military men. It teaches kids about a tradition I never knew about on Veterans Day to set up an empty symbolic table to honor war veterans. I thought it was a really great book.

4 comments:

Ryann said...

I'm going to check out that Veterans book! Thanks for sharing!

Natalie C. said...

Ryann, I was totally thinking of you when I read it. :)

April Cobb said...

I will try that pork tenderloin recipe. Is it at all spicy? We don't have a trader joe's so maybe I should just get salsa verde mild? And I just made a recipe tonight that everyone loved. This month's Rachael Ray had Pretzel Crusted Chicken. I am sure it is online because I remember she made it on her show. I would leave out the thyme and you don't need the cheese sauce... way to fattening since the chicken is already fried (but in very redeeming EEOO). Just use barbque sauce. Anyway, your kids will love. It is like yummier chicken tenders. Thanks for the 411!

April

Natalie C. said...

April, It is a bit spicy, but definitely on the mild side, so I'm guessing Trader Jose Sal should be ok for you. My kids liked it. I usually don't like spicy stuff & I could have just eaten it out of the pan alone it was so good. Good luck! :)

P.S. I love almost every Rachel Ray recipe I try. I have one of her 30 minute meal books & it's pretty much guaranteed good. :)