Something Beautiful or Humorous: Apples that Eli painted

Thursday, January 3, 2008

A Few Slices of Heaven


I just have to share this recipe because I am DYING about how delicious it was. I have never tasted such good whole wheat bread... EVEN at Great Harvest. We made some soup tonight, but we were out of bread. Since we needed some in a hurry, we used the ExpressBake setting on our bread machine. The only recipe we have for the 58 minute bread was with white flour. Martha Stewart says baking IS an exact science, so we were nervous about switching wheat flour for white. Solution? We called Chris' dad, who was head of the BYU bakery for many years until BYU so unwisely shut it down* (then he was head of the Cougar Eat!!). He gave us this recipe and our family devoured the whole loaf. If I wasn't on a diet, I would make this bread every day. Why not? It was so easy. To recreate the results we got, I recommend you use the ExpressBake cycle on your bread machine if you have one, but if you don't, you can still try it in your oven. OR if you're hard core, and you want the real, non-quick version with rising times & a different order of mixing, leave me your email address in the comments & I'll send it to you.

Neil's Awesome, Awesome Whole Wheat Bread (ExpressBake Bread Machine version)

1 1/4 cup warm tap water
2 tsp lemon juice
3 Tbsp oil
3 Tbsp honey
2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
3 Tbsp wheat gluten (you can find it amongst Red Mill brand products)
1 tsp salt
2 Tbsp dry active yeast

Throw everything in the machine in that order and enjoy it an hour later!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you want to try the quick version in your oven, here are the stages the bread goes through in the machine:

At 0:58: The dough is kneaded. (10 minutes)
At 0:48: The dough begins to rise. (13 minutes)
At 0:35: The dough begins to bake. (35 minutes)
At 0:00: The bread is finished.

You can try to imitate that, and stick it in your oven at 350 degrees (F).

*I can't tell you how many people I have heard mention BYU Bakery in conversation: "What ever happened to that awesome BYU bread?" "Remember the BYU donuts?" I never knew Chris while attending BYU, and to think all this time, it was his Dad directing the baking of all my comfort food. :)

4 comments:

jenny said...

I'd love your bread recipe jenny@ldsmommy.com.

compulsive writer said...

Thank you! I've been wanting a good recipe for healthy bread. I can't wait to try it.

Did you hear about the chapel in Tampere? I posted a link to the news on a post at Segullah (there is a link to it on my blog). I have more photos of it in my e-mail if you're interested.

Very sad.

Rob said...

So, I got a bread maker for Christmas and used your recipe...DELICIOUS! Thank you for sharing, Natalie!

Kenny, Linsey and Caleb said...

I finally have something to look forward to when I get back to Peru where my bread maker is waiting for me. I'll let you know how it turns out.