Something Beautiful or Humorous: Apples that Eli painted

Tuesday, November 20, 2007

What's On Your Wall?

This is on my living room wall. Eli found a beautiful big yellow leaf by Chris' office building a few weeks ago & said he would bring it home for my "leaf collection." Cute, huh? My husband, Chris actually made these, believe it or not. The mats are covered with cut up real leaves. A few years ago, we made these together & the ones I made, we sent away for Christmas gifts, and we kept the ones he made. It's a year-round reminder of how beautiful fall is in Virginia. Too bad fall is ending pretty soon after Thanksgiving when all the Christmas decorations come out.


This is on my kitchen wall. I bought the little prints from a web designer on Etsy. The only one he forgot is "The Beatings Will Continue Until The Morale Improves. By Order Of The Management."



This is on someone else's wall. It's a "portrait" of someone's home that I painted. Just thought I'd show off my work. :) (wink)



Just a Couple of Things To Be Thankful For At Thanksgiving Time

  1. The Peacegiver. What a beautiful book. I'm so glad I could get another perspective on the atonement.
  2. That my kids & husband know I love them. Eli knows the answers when I quiz him: "Would mom rather have $1,000,000,000 or Eli?" "Eli." "Would mom rather have a new car or Eli?" "Eli." "Would mom rather have a big, clean house or Eli?" "Eli."
  3. The people all around us who are invisible, but important to us. Today I was thinking how thankful I was for the person who goes around and gets all the books for me that I put on hold at the library!
  4. To live in a beautiful city. A couple weekends ago, we went to the Textile Museum. It was near embassy row in a beautiful historic home. Every first Saturday of the month, they have a craft for kids. It was really fun- my kids made handmade paper.
  5. To be able to make a couple pies. I can't wait. I think we will go Martha Stewart on this one and make Pumpkin Pecan-Praline Pie and Spiced Apple Pie with Fluted Round Cutouts. YUM!

5 comments:

Tracy said...

How do you cross out text in your "still need to see column?"

Natalie C. said...

Tracy, To cross out text, you need to put in a little html code. The tag is "del". Then at the end of what you want to cross out, you put, "/del" But instead of quotes, put it between these <>. You might want to do a google search for simple html coding just to get a general idea. My husband knows html & I generally cheat by getting him to tell me what to do.

Angie said...

The painting is awesome! I love the framed fall leaves. I admire mom's all the time.

Hardys said...

Natalie,
I love the leaves. I want to make one and need to know how to start. Obviously I need leaves...ha, ha.

Natalie C. said...

Teresa, here are some condensed directions: The best way to press leaves is with corrugated cardboard. Find an old box & cut it up with a box cutter into flat sheets of the same size. Then you can put leaves then cardboard, leaves, cardboard, do that a bunch of times making a bunch of layers. Tie the whole thing up with some twine and put a book on it. Per project, I would say you want at least 50 leaves. You need to wait a few months (at least) until the leaves are completely dry. Then find a shadow box frame with a raised mat. (We were finding them at Michaels for a while & used coupons). Cut rectangles out of your leaves with a paper cutter and modge podge them to the mat, alternating with different variations of color. Use aerosol spray glue to put the center leaf on some pretty card stock paper. You can even "sign" the art, if you want to. We put like, "Virginia Oak 2002" at the bottom like a signature. Put it all together & that's pretty much it!