Something Beautiful or Humorous: Apples that Eli painted

Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Happy Halloween! Whoop-dee-do!

Look at my cute kids! :) They are Peter and Susan Pevensie from Chronicles of Narnia.

I have read in a couple of your blogs that some of you love fall as much as I do. Adding to that, October for me was full of a few things that were a little more fun than usual life around here. My mother-in-law has a great philosophical explanation for some people with yellow personalities (motivated by fun & adventure) that just can't get enough crazy-fun-party-time: "Some people need a lot of whoop-dee-do in their lives." I actually am not one of those people. I don't need a lot of whoop-dee-do in my life. But I try to take advantage of fun opportunities when they come my way.

At the beginning of this month, I got to go to the live performance of the So You Think You Can Dance Tour. If any of you know me even sort of well, you'll know that I was soooooooooo excited about this!! My saint-like friend, Kris watched our kids until 1:00 a.m. so that my sweetheart, Chris and I could drive up to Baltimore and watch the performance together.



I didn't bring my camera with me, but if I could have taken a picture of myself, it would have looked like this:


I always cry when I watch live dance performances. The first time it happened, I thought I just cried every time I saw Ballet West perform The Nutcracker. The second time it happened, I thought it just happened every time I watched ballet. But since it happened during the live tour of SYTYCD, I now realize that the thrill of watching dance just makes me cry. And no, I wasn't on my feet cheering and screaming as I cried. Nope. Not a yellow personality, as I said. I'm waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too inhibited for that. I was just sitting there clapping, trying to hide that I was crying.

Another highlight was a big shindig in Marshall, VA, where a former bishopric member lives on a beautiful piece of property they call Pemberley. He had invited the whole alumni of our singles ward from 1996-1999 there for a catered, professionally photographed reunion! People flew in and drove in (about 200 of us) from all over the place. I hadn't seen some of my close friends for years, except in Christmas cards! It was true joy. I expected to feel competitive or judged for where I am in my life right now, but it was an unbelievable feeling of acceptance and love. We stayed for 4 hours talking and talking and our kids thought they had met long lost cousins and cried when we had to leave. It was a great, great experience. Photo of us at Pemberley below:



Last week it was my turn to host book club. We read The Thirteenth Tale, a ghost story that takes place in England. The main character drinks hot chocolate and eats cake in the book, so that's what I served, along with some tea sandwiches & salad. Eli was asking about the tea kettle & I told him I was having the ladies over for a tea party. He said, quite indignantly, "ARE MIA AND I INVITED??????????????!!!!!" There was only one answer to that. So we had Mia and Eli join us before they went to bed. I spray painted our little pumpkin patch pumpkins silver. I wish I would have gotten a photo of them when I dimmed the lights. The candles reflected off them & it was beautiful.


I just wanted to leave you with one random thought I read today & took to heart from I Am A Mother by Jane Clayson Johnson (and she took it from Elder Bruce C. Hafen).

"If LDS women criticize each other rather than connect with and support each other, the adversary wins the day by driving wedges into natural, womanly relationships of strength. Because women can give so much never-failing charity to each other in relationships, one curse of the modern world has been to isolate and alienate women--including LDS women-- from one another by making them more competitive."

Girlfriends, we need each other. Thanks for reading my blog & supporting me in that way. I hope we can always be there for each other.

8 comments:

The monkey bunch said...

I totally know what you mean, Natalie. I had a guy at work really bash me with some nasty language about how many kids I had, but the part that hurt the worst was that the lady that was training me laughed!
The primary program that I am in charge of went horrible, in my estimation, my youngest child is biting again, the second youngest is hitting and my husband is in the Ukraine. I need support, not judgement! Thanks for yours.

Angie said...

I love you Natalie!

Jen Cardon said...

Hey, Natalie,

I have to tell you that when our family did the color code test, I had zero yellow in me! It would seem I do not have any fun! But, I guess my fun comes from reading a book, going to a museum, or serving in the Church. It sounds like you had a good week--and the kids costumes are great! Love to all!

Kenny, Linsey and Caleb said...

Your kids are adorable and your table for book group looks so festive! I can just imagine who was at the Colonial Reunion, what a party that must have been!

MwH said...

Loved your table for book group. I just read that book myself. . good Halloween choice :). Your kids are so cute -- loved their costumes!!

Natalie C. said...

mwh, are you Mary Hales? What is your blog address?

Hardys said...

Natalie you have such talent that I want. You have great ideas...I need more of that.
I took the personality test and have a teny tiny bit of yellow. Justin in the other hand is nothing but yellow!!!!!

Natalie C. said...

About the personality test-I'm red by the way. I think you can usually tell what people are by hanging out with them even for a few minutes.