Something Beautiful or Humorous: Apples that Eli painted

Sunday, January 14, 2007

What's On My Mind






Entertainment


We saw Dreamgirls and it was just as fabulous as I thought it would be. But unfortunately, we had to risk our lives to go see it. Actually, we caved in to convenience & decided to see it at Springfield Mall because it was 5 minutes from the friends' house where we left our kids. Certain things about this mall were reminding me of how the Superdome during Hurricane Katrina was described. Crowded, stuffy, getting run-down, filled with gang-like people, afraid that a fight was going to break out at any minute. (Ok, I know I'm exaggerating, but the drama is entertaining, isn't it?) There were a few times when I peered into peoples' faces and thought, "I can not accidentally bump them or make them mad in any way, because they will try and harm me!" While I was in the theater waiting, Chris was in a long line to buy popcorn. There were 2 girls, sisters, who were being quite hostile to each other. One of them was holding the other's hat and dropped it. The other one just sat there and waited for her sister to pick it up. Finally, instead, a stranger picked it up for her and gave it to her. Chris started laughing and someone said, "What are you laughing at?" Great, Chris. We're trying not to get stabbed here! To be fair, it's probably not so scary inside most of the stores of the mall. We were only in the halls, the theater, and the food court. But maybe going to a place like this when you're trying to wind down and relax on a date with your husband is not the best idea.




Kids


My kids need outside time. I tried to get them to ride their bike & tricycle outside yesterday and they didn't even know what to do. Both of them sat there and screamed in frustration because they didn't know how to ride their bikes. Is this an urban phenomenon? I don't remember doing that as a kid. I used to want to be outside riding my bike as much as I could. And this isn't how I pictured it would be like with my kids. I didn't think Tricycle Riding 101 would be my teaching curriculum for hours and hours & months & semesters. They were just supposed to joyfully go out there & play by themselves. Sigh. I am really missing suburbia.




Positive Things



  1. Birthday Club. This is the 12th month I've had sisters in the ward over for cake on their birthday month. I'm passing the torch to someone else, which feels nice. But it's been such a delight to get to know different people in the ward on a much more personal level.

  2. 2 dates with my husband 2 weekends in a row! Woo hoo!

  3. Watching my little girl from a distance walk daintily with her pink dress and bow

  4. Having my husband work at a government site without the low government pay (and the federal holidays off, too. yay!)

  5. A husband with a sense of humor. Phew! It gets me forgiven for a lot of things.

Food



A Really Good Soup Recipe:


Potato Tomato Soup (don't worry, it's not too tomato-y) Serves 6.
1 T butter
3/4 c chopped onion
2 cups peeled, cubed russet potatoes
3/4 cup chopped carrots
1 clove garlic, minced
1 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
1 cup milk
1 1/2 tsp cornstarch
Half of a 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes
1/2 cup plus 2 T chicken broth
1 T tomato paste
Salt & pepper to taste

Melt butter in large saucepan over medium heat. Cook onions until tender. Add potatoes, celery, carrots, garlic & Italian seasoning. Pour in milk, gradually stir in cornstarch, and bring to a boil. Add tomatoes, broth, and tomato paste. Return to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes; season with salt and pepper to taste.

1 comment:

Andrea said...

Be glad they DON'T like to ride their bikes - Nick keeps hauling out the front door whenever he feels like it and today when I was coming home from somewhere (he stayed at home with Dad), he was in the middle of the street, pedaling straight toward me! Aaarrrggghhhh!!!