Something Beautiful or Humorous: Apples that Eli painted

Tuesday, December 19, 2006

When I was on my mission in Finland, the winters were long, cold & dark and we dealt with nothing but depressed people. Whenever we would have dinner with members, we would leave them with a message and this was our message during the whole winter: to sit down together and each person write down 10 things that made them happy.

Well, even though our winter has been bright and beautiful, during this Christmas rush, and the accompanying stress, I am feeling the need to write down a few things that make me happy.

  1. Warm showers
  2. Electricity (my in-laws in Seattle have been without for several days!)
  3. Brown sugar on acorn squash (I had that for dinner & it made me so happy. I think you could serve me an ant hill with butter & brown sugar & I would think it was delicious.)
  4. A content little 4 year old. Believe it or not, Eli was content to sit down by me for 2 hours while Mia was sleeping & I was writing Christmas cards. He was playing with a little plastic thing from our desk the entire time. I remember thinking, I can't believe this is keeping him happy.
  5. A supportive peer group of stay-at-home-moms!! I spoke with a friend of mine today who had moved to Utah and she said people really don't get together socially there in her ward. There is no playgroup, etc., etc. As much as I sometimes wish we could move to Utah to be closer to family & to have a bigger house, I know I need the support of other moms during this time in my life. Before I had kids, I remember praying that when I did, I would be in a location where I'd have lots of other stay home mom friends that would give me moral support. Thank you, gals, who are reading this for unknowingly being a great source of strength & sanity.

No comments: