Something Beautiful or Humorous: Apples that Eli painted

Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Too Good To Be True


Here is a picture we took on the cell phone of Eli with the tree from Utah at the White House Christmas Tree & Pathway of Peace.

Color coding the items I'm thankful for. One, Two, Three, Four, Five.

I had such a serene morning! I was kid-less! Bryn Sorenson was so sweet & watched Mia for me while I was at the DMV. I could just sit back, read my book while waiting, get in & out of the car in less than 20 minutes & not haul around snacks & sippy cups. I had 2 1/2 hours free of screaming!! The two empty carseats in the back seat almost made me a little sad (Eli was at preschool), but it was quiet & tranquil! Aahh.

I am pleasantly in SHOCK that I've dealt with the government of Virginia twice today and both were good experiences!! Here's how shocking: First I went to the DMV. Everyone I dealt with there was CHEERFUL, seemed to have more than a high school diploma, and the biggest shocker was how quick it was! I called beforehand to see what documents I needed for my driver's license renewal. I had to go in person since it's been 10 years. They pretty much said I needed every piece of paper in my filing cabinet. Tax return, marriage licence, driver's license, passport, paystub, mortgage statement and social security card. When I got there, they didn't even ask me for any other forms of ID or any of the stack of papers I brought with me. (Yes, I know I said I thought I was dealing with smart people & it begs the question of those employees- aren't you supposed to be checking to see that I'm not a terrorist? Oh well!) So then I went back to the waiting area thinking I was homefree, but after a while I hear over the intercom, "We are unable to process any more driver's licenses today. Our system is down. Sorry!" I almost wept. So I went up to the desk expecting to be sent away, but they said, "Oh yours was processed just before the system went down." Unbelievable. And I walked away with my license all taken care of.

The second encounter with the state government was with VDOT. We had some absolute idiot truck driver dump a pile of asphault paving rocks on the sidewalk & road near our house a little while ago. I recently learned that the only one who has been holding our neighborhood together (she was a realtor & personally invested in the quality & asthetics of our neighborhood) has MOVED. :( So I feel all this pressure on me to now go to the HOA meetings and make all these phone calls and yell at people to get things done. Not fun. So I was preparing for an unpleasant experience when I called VDOT's road maintenance customer service. The man who took my call sounded sweeter than my own grandpa. Again, he was CHEERFUL and said it would be taken care of. Wow, that was easy.

Last night we went to see the National Christmas Tree & the Pathway of Peace with Christmas trees from all 50 states & territories. It was LOVELY. But forget the trees, what my kids liked best were the 9 electric trains running around the big national tree. We hope to do more touristy, Christmas Spirit-y things in the next few weeks because it really was fun & uplifting for us. Do any of you have any suggestions for me? Last night's activity was a great suggestion from Ryann Murphy-- thank you!!

An update on Eli- I had said he was going through a terrible, hard phase lately. He has been so good lately. At least 8 or 10 times yesterday and today he kept saying out of the blue, "I love you, Mommy." Mia is so sweet, too. When I put her to bed, she always says at the top of her lungs, "NIGHT NIGHT! LUH-LOO" (Luh-loo = love you). When you tell her you love her, she will always return a "Luh-loo." She will even say, "Luh-loo, blankie." or "Luh-loo, kitty-cat." I love & am so grateful for these cute kids.

2 comments:

Andrea said...

In addition to the trains at the National Christmas tree, we go to see the train at the Botanical Gardens every year (right by the Capitol). There is also a train set up at Union Station, but it's not necessarily a must-see. I'm so glad you had such a great day today!!

Ryann said...

I'm so glad that you were able to see the Christmas trees! It is a great time of year to do all of these family activities-and not too cold!