Something Beautiful or Humorous: Apples that Eli painted

Friday, December 29, 2006








My birthday and the holidays have always gone together. It's been annoying at times. I'm sure you can imagine, I would get the combined birthday and Christmas $20, but everybody else would get $20 for their birthday and $20 more for Christmas. Hmmmm... And it's kind of hard to have fun parties growing up in the middle of winter, that close to Christmas. But my mom would always do whatever she had to do to get all my little friends invited over.

As an adult, things got a little better. I remember one birthday I was in Paris. Before we got married, Chris came home with me to meet my family. They lived in Belgium and Paris was just a hop, skip and a jump from there. So we gave Chris the grand tour, and we decided to eat dinner at Hard Rock Cafe for my birthday. If you've ever eaten there for your birthday, you'll know that they blast out your name on the loud loud speaker when it's your birthday. Well, usually if that happened in the US people might clap or just try to ignore your table. But not in Paris! Everyone was coming up to me and wishing me a happy birthday! Total strangers were kissing me on the cheek! It's a funny memory. And Chris also reminded me that my dad had bought a marzipan pastry (my favorite) from a Paris bakery down the street and brought it inside to give to me. It was PINK and gorgeous and delicious.

Now I am married to the PERFECT person to sympathize with my holiday birthday situation. Chris was born on December 27th. After we got married, we started celebrating our HALF BIRTHDAYS on June 28th. They have been a lot funner than the actual birthdays. We've started going out and really celebrating, going to concerts, shows, ballets, etc.

Well, thank you, Family for putting up with me all these years!

2 comments:

Andrea said...

Happy Birthday to you! I'm a horrible mom, we're celebrating Ryan's Dec. 28th birthday a month later this year... but vowing to do better in the future!

Holly said...

I totally relate - my birthday is on the 25th!