Something Beautiful or Humorous: Apples that Eli painted

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Blurred Vision




More pictures from Monday's trip to the White House.




Mia: Holding a book to her nose says, "Nose Wipe. Nose Wipe."

Question of the day: How in the world do I should I discipline/teach my kids? I'm out of answers & not acting rational, anymore. Specifically in the situation I found myself in this morning:
Eli got up super early this morning because he had taken a nap at 4:00 p.m. yesterday & just stayed asleep for the rest of the night. He was apparantly running around getting into trouble because when I woke up, I found out he had gotten out the kitchen scissors and opened a toy that was meant for a birthday gift for Mia's friend's birthday party tomorrow. WHAT DO I DO???????????? I'm exhausted & irrational & I wanted to spank him. But I know Supernanny says, "Spanking is not ok. It does not work." Time out will do NOTHING. TV is already off limits (we have already gone back to the little or no TV thing until he's 5 to get rid of other bad behavior & that's working well.) I don't want to take away toys because we tried that in the past & it didn't do anything, either. He didn't care. (How's that for ingratitude?) I don't want to just ignore it because this is the SECOND TIME this month that he has opened a toy intended for another child's birthday party. I don't think I should have to bend over backwards hiding things from him because he is old enough to know better. The only other option I can think of is making him do chores to pay for another gift. Well, first of all, it's not a punishment for Eli because he begs & loves to do chores. Plus it's like a punishment for ME to help Eli do $15 worth of little chores... Chris doesn't know what to do. We are both so out of answers it isn't even funny. Can any of you lend us some rationality?
Some of you may be thinking, why is she even asking us this question because one last option didn't don on me until the quiet moments of the afternoon when I was able to sit down with my scriptures. And that option is to do nothing. To trust that Eli is sorry he made this mistake & trust that his little heart is innocent & benevolent. I know that it is.


5 Things I'm Thankful for:
  1. That Ms. Mende (preschool teacher) cried when we gave her Del Parson's painting of Jesus with the children & our note thanking her for teaching Eli more about the Savior.
  2. Some bananas & chocolate fondu last night (thank you, Bryn!)
  3. After the rain this morning, we had beautiful weather AGAIN! Eli & Mia even played outside in the wet backyard after lunch.
  4. Some things got checked off the Christmas To Do List. Yay! The stress of them is over.
  5. My kids love their dad. And they have a great dad. Mia walked up to me after lunch and said, "Daddy book?" (Translation: Can daddy read me a book?) Then she said, "When Daddy home?" She's never asked me a question that advanced before. Inspired by love for dad. Awww!!

No comments: