Something Beautiful or Humorous: Apples that Eli painted

Monday, November 20, 2006

You Had A Bad Day

Tell me your blue sky's fade to grey
Tell me your passion's gone away
And I don't need no carryin' on
'Cause you had a bad day, you're taking one down
You sing a sad song just to turn it around...

... Ok. Instead of "And I don't need no carryin' on," I always thought it said, "And I don't need no caring nod." You know like nodding your head saying "uh huh. I understand." Hmmmmmmm.... By the way here is a hilarious website to check out lyrics to songs that people have misunderstood. http://www.kissthisguy.com/ Even the name of it makes me laugh!!! ('Scuse me while I kiss the sky- Jimmy Hendrix... get it?? Kiss this guy???) Clicking around on this website will solve a bad day. Ok I have to give you just a few: The real lyrics were: "I can see clearly now, the rain is gone. I can see all obstacles in my way." But the person misheard them as: "I can see clearly now my brain is gone, I can see all orchestras in my day. " The real lyrics were: "Janie's got a gun." But the person misheard them as: "Janie slugged a bum." They've got a million. It's even funnier if you start singing the wrong words out loud with the tune.

But my real point was going to actually try and be a bit profound. I wanted to write about bad days. Whenever I have had a bad day in the past, I have tried to go through a mental check list to see if there was a way I could have avoided it. It goes something like this: "Have I said my morning prayers? Have I read my scriptures? Have I exercised today? Have I written down 5 things that I'm thankful for?" And I just came across something that has caused me, I think, to add one more question to the check list, and here it is: "Is there anyone (including myself) that I need to forgive?" Holding grudges can make you MISERABLE. Self loathing and perfectionism can also make you miserable. I'm reading Body Clutter by Marla Cilley and Leanne Ely. There is a chapter on forgiving yourself for your past decisions that have caused you to gain weight and don't throw your life away over eating one candy bar, etc. But the words had a broader application to me:

When forgiveness is granted, the benefit is immediate and apparant.
A burdened down feeling is replaced by a feeling of lightness. There is a
feeling of release, a liberation that happens in the soul. . . . It is at
that point that you make room for the good things you want in your life.
It's like weeding a garden. If you take out the weeds, you can allow what
you want to grow to flourish.

The part I like best about this is that it says when you forgive, the benefit is immediate. I am definitely an instant gratification girl. Why not try it. Lately, I've been very hard on myself for yelling at my kids, for not being my most cheerful, for not jumping up to clean every crumb that falls or immediately clean every dirty dish. I've also been hard on my kids! They make a mistake and they get in trouble for everything without me giving them any slack. And poor Chris. This great husband that I have, has braved more stormy moods of mine than anyone. We know that forgiveness is a miracle. It's God that grants us that wonderful freeing feeling, but it's within OUR power to actually do the forgiving. It's harder than it sounds. But worth a try. Let's see what happens.


No comments: